NOW ACCEPTING APPLICAITONS UNTIL FILLED FOR THE FOLLOWING:
Position title: DRIVER
Department: Veterans Service Office, 470 Center St. Bldg. 5-B, Chardon, Ohio
Hours: 25 hours per week
Monday – Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm (with potential of Full Time)
Compensation: Starting $15.63 per hour
Definition: Under general supervision is responsible for transporting veterans from pick-up location to Department of Veterans Affairs Medical facilities (outsourced appointments and C&P exams); Works in close relationship with Director/Veteran Service Commission to identify issues or needs.
- Transporting passengers to VAMC’s (Wade Park, Parma, Willoughby, Ravenna) and VA outsourced C&P exams;
- Communicating with office and follow pre-arranged trip manifest to determine need and location of passenger pick up and drop off sites;
- Assisting passengers including the elderly, disabled, and medically fragile customers with securing wheelchairs for passengers as necessary;
- Cleaning interior of vehicle as necessary and inspecting vehicles regularly for assessment of maintenance and repair needs; and
- Performing duties in accordance with local, state, and federal laws and regulations and employer’s policies, procedures, and guidelines.
Skills and Qualifications:
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent work experience;
- A valid Driver’s License or a Commercial Driver’s License, including passenger endorsements, and have an acceptable driving record;
- Knowledge of the federal, state and local requirements, methods, materials, tools, equipment, and standard practices of bus driving and of BMV traffic laws, defensive driving and vehicle safety;
- Ability to operate a passenger bus, wheelchair lift, and computer;
- Knowledge of preventative maintenance measures connected with buses/vans;
- Knowledge of the Geauga County area including the ability to read maps and drive to unfamiliar areas;
- Ability to operate a van in inclement weather conditions and to read and understand manifests in order to determine specific bus stops and instructions for transporting passengers;
- Ability to work effectively with veterans, elderly, disabled or medically fragile individuals who may be upset, distraught, irate, emotionally or mentally or otherwise unable to function within reasonable range of constructive behaviors;
- Very flexible work schedule.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Clean driving record
- Must pass (test negative) pre-employment drug test.
- A valid Ohio Driver’s License and proof of insurance.
- May require flexible schedule based on needs of office.
- Must pass background check.
Application for Employment, resume and DD214 to the Geauga County Veterans Service Office, Attn: VSC Board, 470 Center St, Bldg. 5-B, Chardon, Ohio 44024.