NOW ACCEPTING APPLICAITONS FOR THE FOLLOWING:
Position title: DRIVER
Department: Veterans Service Office, 470 Center St. Bldg. 5-B, Chardon, Ohio
Hours: Full-Time, 40 hours maximum per week during normal office hours
Monday – Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Compensation: Starting $15.66/Hr. with County Benefit Package.
Definition: Under general supervision is responsible for transporting veterans from pick-up location to drop off locations. Works in close relationship with Director/Veteran Service Commission to identify issues or operational efficiencies. Performs all duties as required.
Qualifications: VALID Ohio drivers license with proof of insurance; 21 years of age and 5 years driving experience; ability to understand written and oral instructions; and meet physical requirements. Must pass (test negative) pre-employment drug test.
- Transporting passengers to VAMC’s (Wade Park, Parma, Willoughby, Ravenna) and VA outsourced C&P exams;
- Communicating with office and follow pre-arranged trip manifest to determine need and location of passenger pick up and drop off sites;
- Assisting passengers including the elderly, disabled, and medically fragile veterans with securing wheelchairs for passengers as necessary;
- Cleaning interior of vehicle as necessary and inspecting vehicles regularly for assessment of maintenance and repair needs; and
- Performing duties in accordance with local, state, and federal laws and regulations and employer’s policies, procedures, and guidelines.
Skills and Qualifications:
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent work experience;
- Knowledge of the federal, state and local requirements, methods, materials, tools, equipment, and standard practices of bus driving and of BMV traffic laws, defensive driving and vehicle safety;
- Ability to operate a passenger bus, wheelchair lift, and computer;
- Knowledge of preventative maintenance measures connected with buses/vans;
- Knowledge of the Geauga County area including the ability to read maps and drive to unfamiliar areas;
- Ability to operate a van in inclement weather conditions and to read and understand manifests in order to determine specific bus stops and instructions for transporting passengers;
- Ability to work effectively with veterans, elderly, disabled or medically fragile individuals who may be upset, distraught, irate, emotionally or mentally or otherwise unable to function within reasonable range of constructive behaviors;
- Very flexible work schedule including some early mornings and evenings
- Perform work which involves lifting, pushing and/or pulling objects which may weigh approximately 50 but can be up to 100 pounds.
- Clean driving record
- A valid Ohio Driver’s License and proof of insurance.
- May require flexible schedule based on needs of office.
- Must pass background check.
Submit your Application for Employment, with your resume and DD214 to the Geauga County Veterans Service Office, Attn: VSC Board, 470 Center St, Bldg. 5-B, Chardon, Ohio 44024.