Geauga County Veterans Services
In 1886, the Ohio General Assembly enacted legislation to establish in permanent law a soldiers’ relief commission in each county. Their purpose was to provide for the relief of indigent Union soldiers, sailors, and marines, as well as the wives, widows, and minor children of those who served the Union. The act authorized a tax to be levied, not exceeding 0.1 mills upon the taxable property of the county, to create a fund for the stated purposes. The act also required the common pleas court judge to appoint three honorably discharged Union solders to serve on the commission.
In 1945, the law was amended to increase the size of the soldiers’ relief commissions to five persons. Also, the commissions were given the authority to hire county veterans service officers and other employees as necessary to assist veterans and their dependents in filing claims for benefits to which they may be entitled under state and federal laws. A 1988 enactment changed the name of the county commissions, henceforth to be known as veterans service commissions (VSCs).