"... to care for him who shall have born the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan..."

-Abraham Lincoln, Second Inaugural Address, March 4, 1865

Each applicant for financial assistance under sections 5901.02 through 5901.15 of the Revised Code shall be a veteran, an active-duty member of the armed forces of the United States, or the spouse, surviving spouse, dependent parent, minor child, or ward of a veteran or active-duty member of the armed forces of the United State, who has been a bona fide resident of the county in which application is being made for at least 90 days.

2019 Financial Assistance Application                

Emergency funds for food, housing and utilities may be provided to veterans and/or their dependents. Applications for financial assistance are taken by appointments on Tuesday - Thursday from 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. For more information contact the Veterans' Service Office. Be prepared to provide the following:

DD214 / Discharge

Proof of all household income (everyone who lives in your home)

Current ORIGINAL monthly bills and evidence of residency for at least 90 days in Geauga County

Marriage certificate / divorce decree

Birth certificate / Social Security cards

Lease agreement / landlord statement

Proof of application from Jobs and Family Services and United Way

Prior year W-2s


The Veteran Administration's goal for the SSVF program is to promote housing and stability among very- low income veteran individuals and families who reside in or are transitioning to permanent housing.
We provide supportive services designed to resolve the immediate crisis and promote housing stability.
Veteran Advocates will meet you where you are. Contact Jose Nogales at (330) 297-7027 or (330) 609-9266

We provide:

  • Rapid Re- Housing Services
  • Homeless Prevention Services
  • Temporary Financial Assistance
  • Landlord Mediation
  • Housing Counseling Services
  • Income Support Services
  • Budgeting Resources
  • Legal Services
  • Healthcare Referrals
  • Referrals to Local Resources


  • You or the head of the household must be a Veteran
  • Veteran must have served active duty
  • Veteran cannot be dishonorably discharged
  • Low income
  • Must be homeless or at risk of becoming homeless

There are three very well trained and accredited Veteran Service Officers who will assist the veteran and his or her dependent in filing for the following VA benefits: service-connected compensation, non-service connected disability pension, survivor's pension, death and burial benefits, VA health care enrollment, headstones, education, home loan guarantee certificates, vocational rehabilitation, upgrading or correcting DD 214's.

Transportation to VA Medical Facilities -

The Veterans' Service Office has the capabilities of transporting veterans that are without means to and from their VA appointments. You must schedule all trips two weeks in advance and you must NOT have to depend on others to help you in and out of the county vehicle.  If you are over the age of 60, you are required to seek transportation from the Department on Aging.  They can be reached at 440-279-2130.

Flags and Grave Markers -

Each cemetery handles the placement of the flags and markers independently, but the Veterans' Service Office is happy to provide a flag and marker to family members who wish to mark the grave themselves.

DD214 / Discharge

Proof of all household income (especially un-reimbursed medical expenses)

Current ORIGINAL monthly bills

Marriage certificate / divorce decree (from ALL marriages)

Birth certificates / Social Security cards

Medical statements from doctors

Death certificates

Any other information that you think pertains to your claim

To see if your veteran’s name is listed visit our link to the Geauga County Veterans Memorial.

If you or someone you know is eligible to be honored on the county memorial, please contact our office with proof of service, i.e., a DD214, or Discharge, and a record of citizenship in Geauga County for more than five years at any time in his or her life.

Veterans Food pantry

Operated by Volunteers. Our office will validate service members eligibility to participate.

Pantry hours: Fridays 10:00 am to 2:00 pm 

location: 13211 Aquilla Rd Suite B, Chardon OH 44024

phone:  440-901-4030

email: gcvetpantry@yahoo.com

Director: Lynn Algeri

Commonly Used Forms

Please go to the VA website for all your forms at this link

Look up any VA Form